Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pretty Weird Day So Far

Today has been pretty eventful. I was assigned to check out a bald eagle's habitat (since it's our national bird) and I caught sight of a group of bald eagles in an extremely tall tree. One left the tree and into the river to grab some fish, which I didn't know bald eagle's ate. It was an amazing sight because all it had to do was swoop down for a split second and grab a fish with its claws.

Bald eagles don't do much else, though. I couldn't see much more activity than that.

The other part of our assignment was to observe the natural habitat of the white-tailed deer: Ohio's state animal. I found one of those in one of the thicker parts or the woods and watched it from afar for a while. These deer are actually pretty interesting deer to watch. I love the way they run; it's so majestic.

For about a half-hour, I watched it roam around and eat grass. Suddenly, I step on a broken branch. The deer heard me and started running off out of my sight after it saw me staring at it. When I ran after it, I eventually found it with the right side of its body was completely mutilated. This really shocked me how quickly this all happened.

Overall, pretty weird day.

No comments:

Post a Comment